Donnerstag, Juni 29, 2006

Why do I keep falling?

So the other day I was strapping my daughter into her booster seat in the car. I was standing on the curb in our front yard, leaning in and over my daughter. When I finished I stood up and stretched my back.

Somehow I got off balance. Yes, I know. One should KNOW how to stand up when one is 32 freakin years old. But somehow I have not yet mastered this art. I slid off the curb with one foot and stepped down into the gutter.

The gutter splashed with black sludge. Slippery black sludge. Like icey mud. My foot found no grip there and before I knew it I had fallen.

Not just fallen. I was literally LYING in the gutter. I didn't just fall on my ass. I was staring up at the sky. The black sludge soaked my feet, my calves, through my skirt, through my shirt.

And all I could hear was my daughter's sweet voice: "mama, where are you?" Literally fell out of sight, I did.

What was more upsetting was that I was actually BOTHERED that nobody saw me. Maybe because it hurt so badly. Maybe because I figured that if I invested that much energy in falling so dramatically that someone should at least get a good chuckle out of it.

I can't figure out how it is that I scratched up my shin so badly. I don't remember actually HITTING anything on the way down. Ah well... three days later I'm on the mend. ;)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting